Sunday, March 28, 2010

2 weeks to Long Key, I love it when a plan comes together.

April 10 is getting within my sights. Nailed an 8 wt on E-bay (finally), got 250 yds of 20# backing and a bonefish line coming my way. Have my flats booties and a gear bag that will hold my rods and all my salt water gear. Next weekend I’ll start packing and see what last minute stuff I need to run to Bass Pro to get. Whatever I forget, I’ll pick up at the one in Islamorada.  Still need to find some more camping furniture but between my mother’s house and my sister’s I’ll be able to beg and borrow what I need. Got a guide lined up for Thursday to make sure I don’t leave the keys without hooking up something to remember. Can’t wait to get up at the crack of dawn, walk into the water and greet the sun and bonefish as the tide comes in. Too bad Rob can’t make it (still hope he does since I owe it to him to get me hooked into this adventure.) I still feel I don’t have enough flies, even though I have tied enough to outfit a small fly shop somewhere. Maybe I’ll tie some clousers with bead eyes for a slow sink approach. Maybe I’ll do some merkin crabs just in case the good Lord wants to send a Permit my way. Right now, the anticipation is just killing me. Just have to make it through to weeks of work and then I’m out of here. Michael (son-in-law) comes in Wednesday so I have to go back to the mainland to pick him up. So if it is going to rain, let it happen Wednesday morning.

Here in Memphis the weather continues to be like the stock market, unpredictable. Yesterday we had sun and high 60’s, today we have rainy, cloudy and low 50’s. At least we are seeing enough of the sun to know that spring is coming. My cherry tree and the Japanese magnolia across the street are in full bloom, what a great and inspiring sight.

Next week I get with my fly fishing buddies to plan some smallmouth hunting and a kayak outing to a local lake for some largemouth I love spring.

Keep your lines tight.....

No comments:

Post a Comment