Friday, November 27, 2009

Bum knee, bummer shoulder, a vise, turkey, football and other ramblings

After surviving getting my knee drained twice, living with a severely messed up shoulder (from sleeping on one side to avoid pain on my bum knee,) I have found the perfect low impact activity for these Thanksging days, so I set up my vise and proceeded to tie up whatever flies I was low on.  So far, olive bead head woolly buggers (you can't never have too many of these if you fish Arkansa), Y2K's (fly of last resort but a sure thing to catch trout on a riffle), and Mideon midges (similar to zebras).  Still to tie, crazy charlies, gotchas and kwans (for the April trip.)  In between tying, we managed to fry a large 17 pound turkey without setting anything on fire, including ourselves, and got in 3 football games to count, with the big one still to come Saturday (LSU vs Arkansas).  We now have enough turkey leftovers to OD on tryptophan for the next 3 weeks.  I have also reorganized my midge and wet fly boxes, and help Katie hang Christmas lights.  Yes I am ADHD and can't sit still too long.  I have managed to do all this due to great time management (you'll know what I mean of you are an LSU or Ole Miss fan) and the fact that Black Friday in Memphis scares the hell out of me so staying home is a good option.  Why is it that every time one starts on a new pattern, inevitably someting you do not have is required?  Now I have to wait 5 days to get my ice chenille for sweet ernies.  Next all I need is two more shots in my knee of some 90 weight stuff called synvisk made from some part of the rooster ( this is some of the stuff that they do with what is left over from making fly hackle) and I am ready for the Little Red December 11.  Good thing about river water is that if you wade in past your knees, the 50 degree water numbs them and fishing is great till they thaw out, which is when the pain and Advil make their retrun appearance.

1 comment: